It’s raining today in San Sebastian. That kind of rain so characteristic of the Basque Country that doesn’t seem to get you wet, but soaks you to the bone instead: xirimiri. They say rain doesn’t affect us Basques because it’s part of our lives, but that’s not entirely true. We know bad weather can be a bummer when you were expecting sunshine. So, instead of bumming yourself out, here is a list of five things you can do in Donostia on a rainy day like today.
- Find shelter from the rain in any of the multiple bars or restaurants in the city. Food is part of the identity of San Sebastian. With its bars displaying an ample array of pintxos, its award-winning miniature foods, and its Michelin star restaurants, Donostia – San Sebastian is the Mecca of Basque gastronomy. Why not take advantage of it and embark on a food tour regardless of whether it rains or shines,?
- Visit an exhibition in the San Telmo Museum. Take advantage of San Sebastian’s title as 2016 European Capital of Culture and the numerous expositions that are taking place at the museum to soak yourself in the culture and traditions of the Basque Country. There are a number of temporary exhibitions like “San Adrián, el túnel del tiempo” (until April 3rd) or “Gaztagintza”, regarding Basque cheese as a gastronomic identity of the region, totally worth a visit.
- Spend the day at the seaside Aquarium of Donostia – San Sebastian. Learn about the significant maritime heritage of the province of Gipuzkoa, admire the skeleton of a massive whale, contemplate hundreds of species of the Cantabrian Sea, and more.
- Pamper yourself for a few hours with a visit to La Perla Spa right on La Concha Beach. They offer a number of special services, as well as open visits to salt water therapy pools and jacuzzis. It will turn your rainy-weather frown upside down and you will feel like a “new you” once you’re done.
- And if you’re more of a thrill seeker and are looking for a little adventure, take a stroll along the Paseo Nuevo. If you are lucky enough to get the opportunity to see the Bay of Biscay in all of its bumpy glory, we promise you will get a show like no other. At numerous times during the year, especially with this kind of weather, waves of a few meters high jump over the crosswalk. It is an incredibly fun sight, soaking its spectators from head to toe.